Learning French Can Get More Points for Immigration to Canada
If you are planning to immigrate to Canada, then by now you must already be aware of the fact that there are two official languages in Canada – French, and English. Hence, it will be completely safe to say that learning French can offer immense benefits to you.
About 7.2 million Canadians have the French language as his or her mother tongue. They comprise about 20% of the population. Quebec is the French-speaking province in Canada. The other nine provinces have English speaking community. But Francophone communities are settled in all of these provinces. So, undeniably, learning French can be an asset to you, both socially and professionally.
Proficiency in French can boost your Immigration points!
Not just this! All the French-speaking and Francophone Express Entry candidates can now immigrate to Canada with much more ease and comfort. Is not that great? Marco Mendicino, the Immigration Minister of Canada, has announced that the bilingual, as well as the French-Speaking candidates, will now be entitled to additional points under the innovative Express Entry System.
At present, Canada’s goal is to admit 4.4% of the French-speaking immigrants by the year 2023. Because of the alterations in the Express Entry System, Canada will be easily able to accomplish its target after the travel restrictions ease down a bit.
Last year, about 2.82% of French-speaking immigrants had been admitted to Canada. Mendicino stated that the government wants to support the development of Francophone minority communities. This will lead to prosperity and economic growth of the country in the long run. He further mentioned that the government would keep attracting the minority Francophone communities so that they can flourish across Canada.
- From 2003 to 2019, around 60,000 French-speaking immigrants immigrated to Canada.
- In the year 2019 itself, about 8645 new French speakers immigrated to Canada.
- An investment of about $40.8 million is being made over a time span of five years to facilitate the Francophone integration pathway and horizontal policy development as well.
Alterations in the Express Entry System:
Some changes have been made in the Express Entry System, because of which French learning can now be quite rewarding for you if you are seeking to immigrate to Canada.
- Even if French is your second language, still it is possible to earn 50 additional points if you have strong French skills.
- Scoring NCLC 7 or higher in all the four French language skills, can bring you 25 additional points in case you score CLB 4 or lower in English. You can get 50 additional points if you score CLB 5 or higher in all four English language skills.
How to become eligible for Express Entry?
- You have to take a language proficiency test.
- You are required to score at least the minimum results needed for your program.
- After that, you need to include the results when you finally complete the profile of Express Entry.
During the French language test, the following factors will be considered:
For measuring your French proficiency, you need to appear for NCLC exams.
What is the Express Entry System?
Basically, the Express Entry System is an online system that helps in managing applications for skilled workers who wish to immigrate to Canada and live there as permanent citizens. Eligible candidates can successfully submit a profile to the Canadian government by using the Express Entry System. After the final selection, top-ranked candidates are then required to submit applications asking for permanent residence in Canada. The Express Entry System allows management of three different federal immigration programs – the Canadian Experience Class, The Federal Skilled Worker, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.
All the eligible candidates acquire scores based on the CRS or Comprehensive Ranking System. Points are distributed depending on various factors such as work experience, age, education, language ability in French or English, etc. Those candidates who score the highest are eligible to apply for permanent Canadian residence through the draws of Express Entry.
IRCC or the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada organise the Express Entry after every two weeks. Of late, the draws of IRCC are getting quite humongous. On 14th October about 4500 candidates were entitled to ITAs. To date, this year has witnessed about 82,850 ITAs altogether. There has been a significant rise in the percentage of French speaker ITAs, from 4.5% in the year 2018 to 5.6% in the year 2019.
Some other advantages of learning French for Canadian immigration:
- When you are adept in the French language, a multitude of career opportunities will open up for you in Canada. Canada has umpteen number of jobs to offer to the French-proficient population of the country. Multinational companies always give preference to employees who are fluent in multiple languages, especially French.
- Also, French proficiency will help you to enjoy greater mobility within the branches of your company across the country.
- French language skills help you to widen your job search in any province. Your chances of bagging a satisfactory job position increase by manifolds.
Now that you know that learning French can do so many wonders for your immigration and settlement plans in Canada, there is absolutely no reason to postpone your French class enrolment. You need to search for the best platform that offers you, high-end French classes. Go for one that keeps in mind your purpose for joining the course on the first hand. A platform that teaches you French and customises the course as per your requirement is the best one.
So, without any delay, join a French language course and hone up your French linguistic skills today. The more prolific you are in the French language, the better your score will be while applying for Canadian immigration.